Will Philip Rivers no longer be with the Chargers next season? The Los Angeles Chargers had a game they would like to quickly forget against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday, turning the ball over seven times in the 12 total possessions that they had in the game. Therefore, quarterback Philip Rivers, who had a bounce back season last year, hasn’t been as impressive this season and threw three interceptions in the loss, raising a lot of questions about his future with the team.
After the game, head coach Anthony Lynn told reporters he wasn’t happy with what he saw from his team in the loss. In other words, Philip Rivers was a wreck, for instance.
“I haven’t seen that team all year,” Lynn said, via the L.A. Times. “We’ve gotten beat. We’ve never gotten beat like that. That was my problem today. That’s my frustration right now. I haven’t seen that team in three years since I’ve been here.”
Firstly, Rivers, who is in the final year of his contract, admitted there was a lot of uncertainty surrounding his future. Plans with the team when asked if he’s had time to process that he could be playing his final two games for the Chargers in the coming weeks.
Philip Rivers News of Leaving the Chargers
“I mean, they could be (the final two games),” he said. “I don’t necessarily expect that it is, or I don’t necessarily think it’s a crazy thought that it will be. Think you just don’t know.”
Secondly, the 38-year-old quarterback has spent the last 16 seasons with the Chargers. Also, has struggled for long stretches this season, throwing 18 interceptions in 14 games so far. With the team already eliminated from the playoffs, the Chargers could decide to go in another direction next season and bring in a younger signal caller.
“It’s not solely going to be my decision,” he said. “That’s where I think that uncertainty lies. We will just kind of have to see. … I think with that uncertainty it does add some emotion.”
In conclusion, Rivers and the Chargers will be no more.